Sunday, November 27, 2011

Hawaii 2009

The kids with their Hawaiian cousins


In January 2009 we took a once in a lifetime trip with my family to Hawaii. Some of my best and funniest memories come from that week. Poor Kade had Type I Diabetes but had not been diagnosed yet, so he was miserable and crying the whole week, but we still had a blast. Darcy was 5, Dax was 3, Kade was 18 months and Kyanna was six months old. Darcy was quite shy around adults as a little girl, but Dax was super precocious (and loud!) and felt the need to talk to every random stranger that he saw. Here are some of my favorites from that trip...


On the airplane, Dax and Asiel sat in front of some LDS missionaries. Dax was chatting with them and they told him that their job was to teach people about Jesus Christ. They asked him if he had any questions for them and his response was "Oh yeah, I've been wondering about this forever! So what is Jesus Christ's middle name anyway? Is it God?"


One of the hotels we stayed at was a very tall hotel with a very slow elevator so there was always a huge crowd of people waiting to get on. One morning we were headed to the beach so we were all waiting at the elevator in our swimsuits with a bunch of other hotel guests. Out of the blue Dax announced to the crowd "Hey guess what?!!! I'm not wearing any underwear today! My swimsuit has something in it that's kind of like unders, so my mom said I don't have to wear mine!"


Two seconds after stopping at a gas station Dax started yelling “I have to pee. DON’T COME OUT, DON’T COME OUT! I’m peeing.” So Asiel started yelling “YOU BETTER NOT PEE IN THE RENTAL CAR. HOLD IT! WE JUST LEFT THE BATHROOM.” Dax: “Too late I peed. I already did it.” That was super fun to clean up...


One day we ate at a restaurant called Rosie's Cantina. It made my dad sick and he spent the rest of the day singing this song:
Out in the West Texas town of El Paso,
I fell in love with a Mexican Girl
We went out to eat at old Rosie's Cantina
She poisoned me and I went home to hurl!
Darcy spent the rest of the day saying "Why does everything around me smell like cheese? Every time I burp or fart it smells like cheese soup!"


At a beautiful Buddhist temple one afternoon Dax started visiting with an elderly couple and telling them about our vacation. They asked him what he thought of the temple. He replied "Oh it's pretty fun. But we don't believe in Buddha. We believe in Jesus and Santa Claus."

1 comment:

  1. Hey! That trip was when we found our first "Secret Storytelling Place!" Now its a tradition!

    Don't remind me of Rosie's... I may just hurl again! I'll have to write more verses to that song... BTW, Rosie's isn't there any more but Mossimoto's shaved ice is!! Yum.

    Love Ya!
    Grampa Mark

    ReplyDelete